Finding Security in Insecure Times - Psalm 127
Passage: Psalm 127:1–127:5, John 10:27–10:30
A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon.
 Unless the LORD builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
 It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep.
 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
the fruit of the womb a reward.
 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
are the children of one's youth.
 Blessed is the man
who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
Security is "the state of feeling safe, stable, and free from fear or anxiety."
- Lack of security leaves you feeling violated, vulnerable, exposed, and tainted
What makes you feel insecure?
- Physical danger?
- Lack of provision? Money?
- Unstable relationships?
- Personal flaws?
What makes you feel secure?
- Outward appearance?
- Your health?
- A home?
- A retirement or savings account?
- A relationship? Mother, father, siblings, spouse, significant other
The point of the Bible is that a broken relationship with God was restored with great cost and sacrifice because of great love
- You are eternally secure in Jesus Christ
- You are eternally insecure apart from a faith relationship with Jesus
- From that relationship flows security in every other area:
- If you're secure in your faith in Christ, you are secure financially
- If you're secure in your faith in Christ, you are secure in career/purpose
- If you're secure in your faith in Christ, you are secure in your relationships
Your security in Him flows downward into all relationships and situations
Tweet by t_fisher says it best: "Because #Jesus reconciled us we are now in relationship with the Father. The relationship is stronger than any sin we could commit. #secure"
John 10:27-30 - "27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one."