Passage: 1 Peter 5:6–5:11
1 Peter 5:6-11
 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,  casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.  Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.  Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.  And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.  To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
1. Promises in this passage:
- He may exalt you
- He cares for you
- Others are suffering also throughout the world
- God of grace who called you will himself… restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish
1. Why does God humble people?
- Deuteronomy 8:2 - And you shall remember the whole way that the LORD your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments or not.
- Deuteronomy 8:3 - And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.
- Deuteronomy 8:16 - who fed you in the wilderness with manna that your fathers did not know, that he might humble you and test you, to do you good in the end.
More in A Living Hope
April 30, 2017Allowing yourself to be led by the Great Shepherd
April 2, 2017How to Resist the Temptation to Walk Away from the Faith
March 26, 2017Great Victory Through Great Suffering - 1 Peter 3:18-22